Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Celia Rees : Witch child

I've been searching on Google Books and I have found an interesting book from Celia Rees. Before summarizing this book, let me say some words about the writer. I was curious about her life; who she is, where she lives etc., so I've read about Celia. One of the most amusing things was that she is mostly interested in horror, supernatural stories, thrillers; these are the main topics of her writings. Personally, I don't like these stories at all, but the book I've found seemed interesting. It is called 'Witch child'.

The book is about a girl, Mary Newbury, whose grandmother was hung for being a witch. Mary was alone with her pain, but a mysterious stranger suggested her to escape from the same fate. So, she left England with the Puritans, who left their native England to find freedom of worship. Unfortunately, her journey to America -and being in Salem- was more difficult than she could think.

This story begins in 1659, when a lot of women were hung or burnt at the stake because of being a witch (or told to be a witch...). So, this book can be interesting not only those who like exciting stories, but also those who are interested in history. In my opinion the most fascinating thing in connection with the novel is that it's based on true story, on a 300-year-old diary.

I'm really interested in this novel, and I'm curious about what will happen with Mary. Will she die -like her grandmother- or will she live as an ordinary person?

If you want to know more about this novel, visit this web page: http://books.google.com/books?id=IyADoyCEN_0C&dq=inauthor:Celia+inauthor:Rees&lr=lang_en&as_brr=0&hl=hu&pgis=1

I hope you will like it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A really interesting book, you grabbed my attention.
If i don't have to read some novels I will start reading this immediately.
Maybe if you finish with it you can write down what happened to Mary. Will ya?

Eszter said...

It's a good idea. If I finish with it, I will write down the end of the story. I hope I'll have time to read it soon.

Unknown said...

I, too, would like to know that. Also: did you find a copy of this book in a library after discovering it on Google Books? The link you are giving in your post leads to some info about it, but I cannot read the novel itself. Is it available online?

Eszter said...

To tell the truth, I haven't searched it yet in the library. But maybe I'll.:)
I think it's not possible to read the novel online.